Tuesday, November 04, 2008

In God we Trust

OK, so I'll add my two cents worth to the multitude of stuff that has been said about the political process.  I was home all day today suffering from a sinus infection so I had the privilege of watching politics from every angle and on every show I came across. 

First let me say that this is an amazing election to be a part of!  No matter which political party wins, history will be made and new doors will be opened in American politics (either to African Americans or to women)!  I was astounded by the amount of people getting out to vote, also.  In our area there were some polling places where people stood in line for almost 4 hours!!  I also heard of a couple in India waiting for their absentee ballots and when they did not come, they flew back to the States to vote today!  I love that the public has taken this privilege of voting seriously.  American democracy at work may not always get us what we want, but the process is always amazing to watch!

However, as a follower of Jesus, I have been a little uncomfortable about all the excitement over one candidate or another; one party or another.  It seems to me that sometimes Christians fall into the trap of thinking a certain political party will bring about some sort of salvation and/or we vote for someone who makes some sort of obscure claim to godliness.  And truth be told, as much as I am fascinated by the democratic process, the Reality that I live as a Christian is that I don't get a vote.  My Leader is not a president chosen by popular vote, He is a King (who needs no votes to hold and maintain that position).

I like how Derek Webb puts it:
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it’s to a king & a kingdom
Of course, I voted and I will pray for our leaders but it is in that King and His Kingdom that I put my trust and  my hope.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Well said; thank you.

Lindiana Jones said...

Amen, Tara! I love how you said that and your heart. Our King is so much bigger than all of the politics! Blessings!