Sunday, November 09, 2008

And A Little Child Shall Lead Them....

I stood in the kitchen this morning, smiling from ear to ear and then almost being brought to tears.  My children found a World Vision catalogue full of gifts that can be given to children and people around the world.  As they read all the things that could be given to those in need around the world, they exclaimed "Oh let's do that!!  No, no, let's do that one because that gives goats AND chickens!"   Then when they came across a gift that was a lot of money, they began to come up with a plan to be able to purchase it in the next two years - scheming about how they could make the necessary money.  (In fact as I write this I can still hear them flipping pages and coming up with more ideas.)

I love how much they want to give!!  I love how much they don't calculate their "money portfolio" when it comes to giving to those in need.  I love that it is a World Vision catalogue that has caught their attention and not something enticing them to buy for themselves.  I love how much they want to and plan to do good in the world.

On the heels of an historic election, perhaps I have a different vote.  Maybe we should let the little children lead us....

1 comment:

David Malouf -- said...

I cried this morning, too. I remember being given the opportunity to simply think about giving to another instead of myself on Christmas. I did NOT choose as our children did. At this time, I think they would gladly give up all 'Christmas presents' if it meant our sponsor-child (or any other child) would get the goat, chickens, tent, healthcare, etc. they saw in the catalog.

So bleseed.