Monday, August 25, 2008

A Tale of Two Walks


It was a talkative time, it was a silent time...that is the extent to which I will try to emulate Mr. Charles Dickens. However, like Dickens classic work which contrasts two cities within one city, so I feel compelled to tell the story of the juxtaposition of two walks I took this week.

Both were with friends - beautiful women; smart, strong, determined, spiritually curious, deep, wise, earthy. Both are reading common books which are catalysts for new questions in life and of the Spirit. I love both of them.

Although we walked the exact same path to the same destination, the walks could not have been more different!

In one, my role was that of listener (and counselor). There were many words - stories of life, a hard marriage coming to an end, children, grace, forgiveness, The Creator. I listened to words and gave encouragement with words.

The second walk contained no words except a prayer at the outset. Done in silence, my role was that of leader. Leading someone along a path toward listening to the Spirit; leading them to a physical place conducive to finding and hearing God. I gave no encouragement; just silent prayers that God would take my feeble act of leading and take over my job. I lead to eventually and hopefully be replaced by a much better Guide.

Although I enjoyed both walks, I realized I am more comfortable in the first position. I am trained in my world to have my ears filled with noise and my mouth filled with words. In that position, I am more in control and can manage more.

During the second walk, I had to relinquish all false pretenses of influence. I cannot conjure up an experience with God but can only hope that the Wildest Member of the Trinity shows up. I don't decide on the agenda of topics discussed nor can I keep anyone's mind focused and on subject. I must leave the one I lead completely in the hands of Jesus, who is not always as direct as I think He should be!

On the first walk, I am needed. I am wise; I am held in high esteem. On the second, I could be replaced by a map; I am not important. I am still probably wise though it is a counterintuitive wisdom that makes no claims to greatness. In the first walk I am mingling in the center; in the second I push my friend to the True Center and chose the periphery.

Lord, I know both walks are needed - listening and leading. Help me learn that ebb and flow. But in both, may my feet only move down paths on which You lead because my heart has first listened to You. Amen.

No comments: