Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Rhythm of the Offices


I'm sure I've blogged about this before, but God has brought me back to this place. It is amazing how an "ending" place comes back to the beginning...

I like the idea of praying the offices. As Phylllis Tickle says, "The offices open to me four times a day and call me to remember Who owns time and why. All that means really is that four times a day the Watchmaker and I have conversation about the clock and my place as a nano-second in it."

The offices create a rhythm for me, a place where I am not driven by the clock and daily life, but by God's story. But they also pose a challenge. I find it, quite frankly, hard to STOP whatever it is that I am doing.

So I am a learner...maybe a wanderer... in this land of prayer. I usually pray the morning office and frequently the evening office too. Beyond that, I try...I forget...I let time run my life...I make excuses. But I want to learn to live by the rhythm of the offices, so I don't give up.

(I really like the daily offices at www.northumbriacommunity.org)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks Tara. As I read this and your post about living in two worlds - I am so encouraged by your heart. I know Father smiles as he watches you do life.