Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Running the Race

I've decided that as I go through the pictures of China, I will post them in increments and share reflections and memories from the trip. That way those who are interested can see and hear first hand about our trip AND after I post, I will have a few days to get the next batch of pictures ready!

However, before I do that, here is a little of how I am seeing God here at home:



On Saturday, Mikaela had her 2nd track meet. I am so proud of her!! At her first meet, she ran the 100m, 400m, the relay, and the 800m. I wasn't there (I was in China), but David said that as she ran the 800m (which, by the way is twice around the track), she was out in front for the whole first lap. Then, going into the second one, she began to get tired, BUT she never walked and she ran the race "beyond the finish line". (Meaning: sometimes when people run track, they slow down just before the finish line, thinking they are finished before they really are.) After the race, she fell into her dad's arms. She was exhausted and probably on the verge of tears, but said to someone later "I think I'll do that again to see if I can beat my time!" What an attitude!!


So, fast forward to last Saturday, as I had the privilege of watching her run and watching her dad be her coach, cheerleader, and celebrator, I struck me that this is the race we are in with God.

"Let us run with endurance the race set before us..." But the great news is, that not only is our Father the creator of the race, He is our coach and trainer too!! Not only that, He is the one yelling the loudest from the sidelines - yells of encouragement and praise. And then, not only that, He is the one who meets us at the finish line, tells us what a great job we did (no matter what place we got), kisses us and celebrates that fact that we finished well!!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Thank you for sharing about the race. What a beautiful metaphor of how God is our trainer, coach, and celebrator! The pictures are so great!