Sunday, May 22, 2005

Old habits never die

I once read an article about the fact that when God takes you through hard, dark times, they can be messy and unnerving. The author likened it to always having your cupboard doors open and being unable to close them. All the "stuff" in the cabinets is exposed for anyone to see and the inability to close the doors (ie figure the situation out, come up with a plan of action, find a formula to fit)is simply exasperating.

As I go to bed tonight (just a few hours after my previous post) I realize that living this life of "melted glass" allows me even to leave my house a mess. There is a pot of spaghetti sauce on the counter that should have been cleaned hours ago. My George Forman grill is on the other counter in the kitchen - with caked on chicken pieces - and who knows when it will be cleaned. There are sheets on the couch, wet clothes in the dryer, cups on the ottoman and an empty otter pop wrapper in the living room. Plus my ironing board is in the hallway (as I made half of an attempt to iron today, but only did one shirt!)

All these are huge breakthroughs (or should I say "melt aways") for me - as I've like to have control over my environments (or at least my house) for the past couple of years. But the one residual neurosis? Even though my whole living room is a mess, tonight as I turned off the lights...
... I made sure I closed the cupboard doors on the armoire!!

No comments: